Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sally's Caterpillar and Amelia's Caterpillar

I remembered one other book I love!!

Sally's Caterpillar by Anne Rockwell

It is a really great story of a little girl who finds a caterpillar on a plant and takes care of it until it turns into a butterfly. My mommy said that she used to read it when she was a little girl. She loved the story so much that she decided to plant special flowers in our front yard so we could grow caterpillars just like Sally.






Last summer we found a caterpillar named Cate on a milkweed leaf in our front yard. Mommy carefully brought her inside and each day I fed her fresh leaves. Slowly she got REALLY fat. I mean big big big. I bet she was as big as my finger. Maybe even bigger. Then one day she climbed up to the top of its house and somehow attached itself to the roof! I'm not sure how it did it but it was attached by what seemed to be a tiny string. I wonder if I could do that? Sometimes I hang upside down off the couch but I start to feel really silly. That night I went to sleep worried that something was wrong with Cate. I told Mommy and Daddy and they said that she was probably fine and we'd check on her in the morning.

So the next morning I got up, went downstairs and she was GONE. In the place where she was hanging upside down there was a strange green blob instead. I got really sad but Daddy said that Cate was INSIDE the blob. I couldn't believe it! Daddy said that we'd have to watch the blob every day and in a few weeks Cate would change again. So everyday I checked on her. Finally, one day I looked inside her house and she had changed colors! In the night she had changed from GREEN to BLACK!! Oh no!! I wondered wha
t could have happened???

Then... if you can believe it... when I got home from school she was gone again! In her place this time was a beautiful butterfly. It was black and orange. Mommy and Daddy said that it WAS Cate. She had turned from a caterpillar into a butterfly while she was inside the green blob. I'm not sure how that happened but it was so great. We took her outside and Mommy carefully reached into her house and pulled her out. She hung out with us for a while... sitting on mommy's shoulders and then she flew away! We still see her around our house and each time I try to get as close as I can so I can say hi. But she seems to be busy inspecting the flowers. I also think she's a mommy! We've had lots of baby caterpillars since Cate and they all end up looking just like her!

Ok, so there's my story of my good friend Cate!

No comments: